• (02) 6332 4606
  • info@holytrinitykelso.org.au

Stained Glass Windows

The window is on the East Wall behind the Altar. It was designed by well known Pre-Raphaelite painter and Illustrator, Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones. It was made by Powell and Sons of Whitefriars, London. It was installed in about 1903 in memory of Richard Young Cousins, and Sarah Mary Cousins.

The Left Panel depicts John the Baptist.

The Centre Panel depicts Christ crowned as King of Heaven.

The Right Panel depicts the Apostle John.

The window, on the North Wall, was erected in memory of William Lyle, Rector of Kelso from 1844 till his death in 1872. He is buried in the Cemetery.

The window is based on Raphael’s design for tapestry which hangs in the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican.

This window, on the South Wall, shows the Parable of the Good Samaritan, Luke 10: 25-37.

It is in memory of William Henry Suttor of Alloway Bank, who died in 1877.

This window on the North Wall is in memory of Jane Richards, who died in 1876.

It depicts Jesus at the home of Mary and Martha and Lazarus, as described in Luke 10: 38-40.

“The window came from the establishment of Messrs Falconer and Ashwin. It was shown as a non-competitive exhibit at the last Sydney Exhibition.” Bathurst Times, 20 May, 1876.

This window, on the South Side, depicts Abraham and Isaac from Genesis 22:1-19.

It was erected in memory of Thomas Kite who died in 1876.

Erected in memory of Robert Speir Austin who died 1878.

This window is in the North Wall.

The Centre section depicts Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane. The panel above represents Jesus giving drink to the thirsty, while the lower panel depicts the Jesus giving food to the hungry.

This South Wall window depicts Jesus and the children, Mark 10:6.

The window is in memory of Elizabeth Kite, who died in 1874, and her children Florence Ann (died 1876), Beatrice Marian (d. 1874) and Hubert Percy (d. 1875).

This window was erected in memory of those who fell during the Great War. It depicts St George and the Dragon.

Although originally a memorial to Lt Col H McIntosh and Trooper A.W.Oaks, it was adopted for all of the parish who lost their lives in this conflict.

A set of small brass plates is affixed to the window sill recording the names of all the fallen of this parish.

This window depicts Paul’s visit to Lydia in Acts 16:14-15. Lydia was a business woman, a seller of purple cloth. Lydia was known for her kindness, which may imply a similar trait in Emily Kite which her husband wished to remember her for.

This South Wall window was erected in memory of Emily Louise Lee, who died in 1904.

The two windows above are located in the Vestries.

The single panel window on the left is in the Choir Vestry and depicts Jesus asking Peter to “feed my sheep”. It is in memory of Beatrice Lee who died in 1969. It was the gift of her niece, Miss Ida G Traill.

The double panel window on the right is in the Clergy Vestry and depicts the story of Ruth and Naomi, with one panel depicting Ruth and Naomi and the other depicting Boaz. Both being dedicated to Helen Nina Oaks, who died in 1937.